Thursday, January 11, 2007

January 11th

I took everyone's CC and this is what I cam up with. I upped th brightness and contrast. I personally think that I like the old one better. What do you guys think??

As some of you know, I played the violin when I was little. I still have the same old raggedy violin. It's actually an antique that has been passed down in my family for years. I love to play it, although I don't do it enough. I started playing the violin when I was 10 years old, but continued playing it in High School because I heard this poem. It inspired me. CC on this conversion or any part of this picture would be awesome!!

**For got my specs: I shot in AV mode. 1/50, 2.8, 800

The Touch of the Master's Hand It was battered and scarred, And the auctioneer thought it Hardly worth his while To waste his time on the old violin, But he held it up with a smile. "What am I bid, good people", he cried, "Who starts the bidding for me?" "One dollar, one dollar, Do I hear two?" "Two dollars, who makes it three?" "Three dollars once, three dollars twice, going for three", But, No, From the room far back a grey haired man Came forward and picked up the bow, Then wiping the dust from the old violin And tightening up the strings, He played a melody, pure and sweet, As sweet as the angel sings. The music ceased and the auctioneer With a voice that was quiet and low, Said "What now am I bid for this old violin?" As he held it aloft with its' bow. "One thousand, one thousand, Do I hear two?" "Two thousand, Who makes it three?" "Three thousand once, three thousand twice, Going and gone", said he. The audience cheered, But some of them cried, "We just don't understand." "What changed its' worth?" Swift came the reply. "The Touch of the Masters Hand." And many a man with life out of tune, All battered with bourbon and gin, Is auctioned cheap to a thoughtless crowd Much like that old violin. A mess of pottage, a glass of wine, A game and he travels on. He is going once, he is going twice, He is going and almost gone. But the Master comes, And the foolish crowd never can quite understand, The worth of a soul and the change that is wrought By the Touch of the Master's Hand.

23 comments:

. said...

Nice picture. I like the shadowing on it. I'll have to try that with my dd's viola. :)

jenrogers said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE... this photo...very art like(?)...i would hang this in my house..but then again my house has very old things in it..even though the house is only 8months old...great work...i think this is my favorite photo of yours.....jen

cristina said...

totally agree with jen, the picture is super cool and artsy. must either scrap it, or print and hang it girl! deep poem.

Michelle said...

great picture. love the story too.

Lorrie said...

I love the photo, the cropping is great but it looks a bit dark to me... maybe it's just my monitor since no one else mentioned it..
It is an AWESOME photo either way! nice story too!

Carolyn said...

I really love the composition of this photo. I for me it's a little bit on the dark side and there is not much contrast between the violin and the background...something that may be fixed by brightening the photo or maybe even in color.

I also started playing violin at around 10 years old. but i haven't picked one up in years.

Ingrid said...

The composition of this photograph is outstanding. Well done!

Carolyn said...

Really nice photo, I really like the composition. My cc is that the photo is a bit on the dark side and there is not much contrast between the violin and the background. This could be fixed by brightening the photo.

I think this photo would be really nice in a sepia tone also. It may add to the oldness of it.

Jenny said...

Love the crop on this. Very artsy and introspective to me. I would like to see a bit more contrast between the violin and the background. Not harsh contrast but just the background lightened up a bit. Right now the tone of the violin is just a bit too close to the tone of the background. What about doing some selective coloring on the violin. Might be a cool look?

Anonymous said...

love the poem and the photo. =)

Andrea said...

I love how you framed this shot! I like a little more white in my b&w conversions but I think it looks really cool and moody how it is.

Dar Kaso said...

Great shot, have to agree with some of the other posters and think would be gorgeous if the violin was a bit lighter.

jordan.krogman said...

I've got the same CC as some of the other posters. It awfully dark to me. If you increased the contrast and upped the brightness, it might help you out a lot. WONDERFUL idea, and love this picture!!! I also loved your poem. Thanks so much for sharing!!

Amy Covey said...

Love your photo~ it's very moody.

Anonymous said...

love the crop on this photo... The violin is my FAVORITE...
Cari

Debbie said...

Cool photo. I love the crop!

amazing grace said...

great pic! and I have always liked that song....:)

tfs!

Jenny said...

Hi. I too was given a viola by my well meaning grandma, she spent a lot of money on that beautiful instrument. Now, the viola is long gone, I think stolen? I admire you for keeping up your musical abilities because I only played it for one year in 5th grade. I also love how you have captured your violin in the photograph, and the meaning of "The touch of the Master's hand". His hand truly makes all the difference in our lives, whether we realize it or not.

Krissynae said...

beaautiful photo. Great blog about the violin

~JustJulie~ said...

This is a beautiful picture. Very nice.

Amanda said...

beautiful picture! I personally like the top one more!

Jenny said...

I like the change in the picture. Separates the violin from the background. Great fix.

Andrea said...

Oooh! Thanks for reminding me I should pull out my violin and take pictures of it... I bet that could lead to some interesting shots :)