AHH! So those of you that have followed my blog know that I am attempting to learn to shoot completely in Manual mode. I was finally brave enough to try Aperature Priority mode today. Here's my result. Most of my pictures were very out of focus. I know that it's because my shutter speed was only 1/20. My FStop 5.0 an my ISO was 400. Why is my camera setting my shutter speed so low, or am I doing it, by making my Aperature so small. . . BTW I have a Canon DigiRebel XT. I want all the HHCC I can get. I was so concerned about getting a decently sharp pic, I didn't even think about the position of the catchlights or compostion of the picture. I hope that my scattered thoughts made sense to someone out there! :)

6 comments:
Ok, you asked, right?
In AV mode you choose the aperture and the camera chooses the shutter speed that is supposed to give you correct exposure. If you open wider, the shutter speed will go faster - but you have to be careful not to open too wide. Also, try this again outside in more light.
I shoot in manual all the time. I've just tried shooting in Av mode and think that everything is coming out a little underexposed...
Oh - sorry... I wanted to add that I love your daughter's blue blue eyes... they're gorgeous!
Don't worry we all get frustrated.
If you're choosing f/5.0 then you're camera is selecting what it thinks the proper ss is for the lighting you have, it thought 1/20 was right.
You could have increased your ISO and opened up your lens (not sure which lens you're using and what the largest f/stop is)
What was your light source? Did you use flash? I see a shadow behind her, not sure where it's from.
Keep trying. For practicing exposure, shot an inanimate object 15-20 times changing the settings each time. This way you can get "true" results(without motion blur) and not have to worry about composition or catchlights and things like that.
Work on one thing at a time, get your technicals down, then get creative :)
(scrapperrfo)
Thanks Renee and Rebecca for the advice. I'll give it a try tomorrow. BTW, my light source was my sliding glass door. I didn't use a flash, but I have one, so maybe I need to try and use it next time. I'm just not a big fan of the pinpoint catchlights from a flash, but the way that I had her positioned from the sliding glass door, they ended up looking that way anyways. Thanks again for the encouragement.
She's so cute. Love those blue eyes. I'm in the learning process myself and things light catchlights aren't high on the list right now for me either. :)
Your daughter is beautiful - those eyes. I'm a big fan of using Tv mode for anything that moves. That way you can set you SS fast enough to freeze the action and adjust the iso and/or the aperture to get the exposure right.
Post a Comment