Friday, August 24, 2007

Vent of the Week

OK, my vent of the week this week is illiterate college students. As most of you know, I've been taking online college courses through University of Phoenix. I just can't understand how I have students in my classes that literally can not spell. Now, I'm not the best speller around, I'll admit it, and I get typos, but has anybody heard of spell check. It's this fantastic invention that basically every computer program or website has. Even blogger is "spell checking" this as I type.
Like I said before, I'm not the greatest speller in the world, but there are about 4 people in my class of 12 that can not spell words as simple as "because", "tomorrow" or "of course". The first time that I noticed them misspelled, I figured that they must have mistyped, but I've been in the class long enough now that I've seen them repeatedly misspell the same words. It just baffles me that the students in my class all have 13 years of primary education to graduate from high school and atleast 2 years of college. What is this world coming to??

4 comments:

jill s said...

i TOTALLY agree.

Amber said...

No Haleigh... you do not understand. One girl in my class couldn't even put a coherent sentence together. I was seriously dying. I am not just talking about bad spelling, it was absolute craziness. I thought maybe she wasn't from here (as in she didn't speak english hence the horrendous writing and incoherent sentences) but no, born and raised here. It was absolutely crazy. If she passed the class then I don't even know why I am trying so hard with these classes!

Emily Lauren said...

It's amazing how many people sneak by unnoticed. Even now, in graduate school, there are people that I think ‘how did you get in here’? Supposedly it’s really competitive and they only took 30/300 applicants. How bad were the other 270 people that applied then? I'm kind of joking but totally understand what you mean. Good luck with the class. . .

Debi said...

Hey! Easy :) I have horrible spelling! But I do use spell check whenever possible. Did I just miss spell horrible?