What a difference between a Rehabilitation Center and a Hospital! I can't even tell you. Dane has been doing really well today. He is anxious to come home, but so far today has had some real perspective on why he needs to stay.
He is improving leaps and bounds each day. Dane's schedule each day, while at rehab, will consist of 3 hours of rehabilitation broken up into 30 minute incriments. Most of this rehab is done throughout the morning, which seems to be his best time of day. He is meeting twice a day with three different kinds of therapists, an occupational, a physical and a speech therapist. He will also meet about biweekly with a neuropsychologist. Then, once a week, his team along with his primary doctor will meet and discuss his progress. This meeting will be tomorrow, so ideally I'll have a better idea of prognosis and potential for rehab tomorrow evening or the next morning. Today when he met with the physical therapist they noticed that he was compensating on his right side. This is the case because the contusion, or bump on his left hand side of his brain is a little larger. He was dragging his right foot a bit when he walked and falling to the side when he turned a right corner and walking into things on the right hand side of him. When this was pointed out to him, he easily corrected it, so hopefully these things will be a quick process. In meeting with the occupational therapist, they noticed that he was having some difficulty in noticing patterns, following multiple sets of directions and math was a little difficult for him also. Also short term memory is not great, but his long term memory is fantastic. He seems to remember everyone and even told me the code to our gun safe today. Finally, in meeting with the speech therapist we noticed alot of the same difficulties along with explaining abstract thoughts. They also asked him to do a clock. He did not do the circle at first and put numbers 1-9 where 1-6 should go, in a semi-circle. He was then directed to make a circle and put the 12, 3, 6, and 9 in the correct place. He was then able to do the whole clock by himself and draw where the hands would go for 9:30. A huge step forward in working with the speech therapist is that Dane was able to write his entire name, address and phone number, along with a sentance that he created about Rylee. He wrote, "My daughter Rylee is 5 years old and is so beautiful." So Sweet. This was a huge difference from not being able to write his name at all a few days ago.
I'm hoping to keep it pretty low key over then next few days, while he adjusts to his new surroundings, so we're asking that visitors wait until atleast Sunday to come in for a visit, besides immediate family. My understanding is that Sunday is his day off, so he will be relaxing, and probably somewhat bored that day.
Thank you to Brittany and Amber for their help babysitting today. When I write my thanks to my babysitters each day, I feel a twinge of guilt for all of the time that I am spending away from my girls, but I know that they are in safe hands with everyone that I have left them with. I am so grateful to be able to leave them and not think twice about their well being. I pray that they will be resilient and continue to be as understanding as a 3 and 5 year old can be in this situation. I love them both so much and hope that they are OK! Continue to keep us in your thoughts and prayers. We love you all!

5 comments:
Haleigh,
How wonderful that you're in the Rehab center where everyone is focusing on his recovery. It sounds like he's doing a lot better and is progressing a lot. I know from all of my classes/clincial experience that the prognosis is better if they make rapid gains immediately following the injury. It sounds like he is, which is great.
It's been so nice to have daily updates from you. I've loved hearing his progress on the clock tasks :)
Give our love to Dane and keep us posted. We're keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.
Emily
Haleigh,
My thoughts & prayer's are with you & your family. You are so strong & I think it's great how you have shared this painful expierence with us through blogging. I really felt there in the moment with all you have described. Very emotional. I'm happy to hear that Dane is making such great progess & hope that he be home again soon. Please don't hesitate to ask me if you need anything at all I would love to help in any way I can. Love you & take care.
Lil Debi =)
How wonderful that Dane is improving so quickly and that you have found such a great place for his rehabilitation. We're so grateful that you share your experiences each day. Dane and your family are in our prayers. We love you!
We are so glad to hear the improvements! Getting moved to a rehab facility is the best thing for Dane. That is wonderful news! You continue to be in our thoughts & prayers...
oh my gosh haleigh! i just spent the last 2 hours reading about what happened. it's been a while...i cannot believe this. if you need anything at all, please call me. i can have the girls for a day, or two, or three....my kids would love it! hang in there. sounds like things are getting better, fast! poor thing. you and your family will be in my prayers.
Post a Comment