Friday, June 12, 2009

Happy Birthday Aubree!

I really can't believe that my baby turns 1 this weekend! It's crazy! It seems like she just joined our family. She's been such a joy to have as part of our family. She's such a good little girl with a spunky personality. She loves her big sisters and they love her. Last night we had a family birthday party for her. All of her aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents came over to have pizza and cupcakes. We made Aubree her own cupcake... made from a special cake pan. It two cake mixes so you can get an idea of how big it was. She went to town on it. She got the icing up her nose and everywhere. Toward the ended she opted to just lean in and take big bites with her mouth... no hands necessary. Afterward my mom and I had to carry her by her arms and legs to get her to the sink for a bath. She enjoyed that almost as much as the cupcake. I think we might make that cupcake a tradition for the girl's birthdays. So fun!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
I was so excited to find the recipe for Sprinkles cupcake frosting online... I made two kinds of cupcakes for the guests. Double Chocolate and Lemon with Cream Cheese frosting and Toasted Coconut. This one was my idea and I loved the results. I used a box lemon cake mix to make the cupcakes. Then I added the Sprinkles Cream Cheese Frosting and toasted coconut in the oven on a cookie sheet @350 for about 5-10 minutes. Here are the recipes for the frosting:

Sprinkles Cream Cheese Frosting
8 oz cream cheese
4 oz butter
3 3/4 c. confectioner's sugar, sifted
1/2 tea. vanilla extract
1/8 tea. salt


Cream the butter, cheese and salt in a stand mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually add the sugar until incorporated, then add the vanilla.

Sprinkles Chocolate Frosting
6 oz. butter
pinch of salt
2 1/2 c. confectioner's sugar, sifted
1/4 tea. vanilla extract
3 oz. bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled

Beat butter and salt in stand mixer until light and fluffly, about 2 minutes. Reduce speed, gradually add the sugar, until incorporated, stopping the mixer to occasionally scrape the sides of the bowl. Add the vanilla and chocolate, mix until combined, careful not to overmix and incorporate too much air.

6 comments:

Jill said...

I love, love, LOVE that huge cupcake. Where on earth did you find a pan that big? I will have to start looking... love it! -Jill from CA

The Wiser Side said...

That cake is the coolest!-Nice job and Happy birthday little one!

AudyCamp said...

ok you have to tell me where you got that cupcake pan. Too cute!!

Court said...

OH my gosh I can't believe she is 1 already. It goes oh so quickly.
I love the cup cake idea, where did you get the cupcake pan? THanks for posting the recipe, I am going to try it ASAP!

Hillary said...

How adorable! Did you need a special pan to bake the cake? I'm totally loving your idea!

Heather said...

I can't believe she's already 1!!! She has the most gorgeous blue eyes! (As do all your girls) --Man, she has more hair than Lily! No fair! :)