Sunday, April 27, 2008

Day 5

Thanks to everyone who came by to visit today. Dane really seems to enjoy the visitors. He is more alert with each familiar face and voice that comes to visit. I was only able to stay with him until about 2 this afternoon, but he had quite a few visitors before then. Dane was able to talk to the girls on the phone today and he sound like his normal self, asking them if they'd been being good girls and what they were doing for fun. He was very much himself today, when he was awake, and he is more awake each day. He was able to feed himself today when he was awake. He was also able to brush his teeth. After he brushed his teeth, he had a phone conversation with our bro in law, Riley, and he told them that he was at the dentist, and that they'd just brushed his teeth. Then he started talking about how he wanted a grill with diamonds in it (for those of you that don't know, a grill is a mouth piece with jewelry in it that rap artists wear). This is how most of his conversations go, he begins by making complete and total sense and eventually goes off on a tangent that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Last night, when Dustin and Bridget came to visit, Dustin told him about a hunting trip and Dane asked him where he'd been drawn for, Orange County? Unless he was planning on hunting for Paris Hilton, this would be a near impossible draw :o)
Today we were able to meet with a speech therapist. This is not neccesarily someone I would have thought to meet with, but she gave us some additional insight into Dane's injuries. She first had him draw a circle on a sheet of paper and then put the numbers of a clock on the circle. He drew the circle just fine, started up at the top with the number one, then a smaller two and a smaller 3 he continued by scribbling what he thought were numbers around the entire circle. Then she asked him to draw where the 6 on the clock went and he drew a huge number 6 right at the bottom of the clock. After that, she asked him to write his name and he wrote a big "D" followed by a smaller "a" and smaller scribbles that didn't stop until she told him that he could stop. Then she wrote a sentance at the top of the page that he was able to read. She told us that all of these behaviors were indicative of a closed head injury (brain contusions or bruises). She explained some of the typical symptoms of closed head injury, which include being very impulsive, and also not knowing when to start or when to stop doing things. An example of this is every time that we give him a drink through a straw, he drinks and drinks until there is nothing left. We thought all along that he was just very thirsty, but in actuality it is a very common symptom. The speech therapist also made a reccomendation for rehab and suggested that we go to visit the 3 neuro-rehab facilities that are covered by our insurance company, St. Joe's, St. Lukes and Good Samaritan. So, that is what we did for a little while this afternoon. I am so glad that we did, there was one facility that I would not even think of sending him to and two that were fantastic, only one of which allows children to come and visit him in his room. We will hopefully find out more tomorrow. Part of our final decision will be based upon which facility has open beds, so we will let you know once we know more.
Some clarification... it seems that some people have heard that Dane hasn't recognized me yet. This isn't at all the case. He has definitely had moments, in his more asleep state, where he doesn't recognize certain people, but to my recollection, he has always know who I was. He kisses and hugs me good bye when I have to leave and tells me that he loves me. If he hears someone's voice, sees a picture of them, or sees them in person, he seems to always remember exactly who they are, but if you bring up someone's name, he may not be able to recall them. For example, the other day, I asked him if he remembered his girls and and I mentioned each of their names. He said that he didn't remember them, but today, I brought in a picture of them and he told me, "that's easy, it's Rylee and Peyton." He has also talked on the phone with them a few times and known exactly who they are. So, to clarify, his condition varies from minute to minute, but he is absolutely on the up and ups and moving toward a full recovery.
Thank you so much to all of you that fasted for us today. As I toured the three facilities today, that Dane will be staying in for an unpredicted amount of time, I was able to feel such guidance from the Spirit and I know that your faith and prayers in our behalf was a big part of the reason. We are at home tonight, for the first time, and if feels good to be home, but it's hard not having Dane here. I came home to a full fridge and freezer, clean home, flowers on my kitchen island and even a bag of cookies on my bedroom pillow. Debi, Kalene, Nicole, Brit, Camille and Tory... thank you so much. You made me cry. I know that I'm going to be able to get through this with everyone's help.

4 comments:

Amanda C said...

Haleigh,
Just wanted to let you know that we are thinking of you and we will keep Dane in our prayers.
-Amanda Crookston (Amber's Friend)

Unknown said...

Haleigh,
I am glad to hear that things are getting better and there is some progress. That is good to hear. You all our in our prayers. Call me when you get a second.
Love
Tessa

Amber said...

WHATEVER! A bag of cookies on your pillow? I am jealous by this and yet not... I am going through packages of ice cream sandwiches right and left, I don't need to add cookies to the mix. Anyway, keep me posted about help with Peyton.

Amber

Amber said...

Oh and if Dane does still stick to "Kendall" don't blame me!!!

Amber