Monday, April 28, 2008

Day 6

Unfortunately, Dane was not placed in a neuro-rehab again today. We are working with Good Samaritan or St. Joes. We have only heard back from Good Samaritan saying that they should most likely have a bed available tomorrow. Our number one choice would be St. Joes, but they have not called back our social worker, as of late tonight. We will most likely make a decision tomorrow morning based upon whether or not we hear back from St. Joes. If they are full, we will move him to Good Samaritan. He is definitely getting restless in the hospital and he needs to start working toward his recovery in a rehab center.
The speech therapist came by again today and she conducted some more fascinating tests on Dane. She asked him a bunch of general questions. He would respond with the correct answer to the first question and then eventually get stuck on a specific answer and answer every question with that answer. The therapist called this perseverating. It is another common symptom of brain injury. Then she asked him to write his name, and although in much sloppier handwriting than normal, he wrote his entire name. Finally she asked him to draw a big circle for a clock. Then he began to write his name in a circle, turning the piece of paper around in a circle to finish. She basically explained that some of the wiring in his brain has been "set on repeat in a circular pattern" The brain is such an amazing organ. We are definitely learning new things about it every day.
Today was an EMOTIONAL day. All morning, Dane was doing so well. He was awake most of the morning. Most of the morning, making complete sense, although he seemed a bit restless. Eventually he started to get the idea that we were leaving and about every 5 minutes, would pop up out of his bed ready to leave. When I explained to him that we weren't able to leave, he was OK with it at first. Eventually, he started to get annoyed that we weren't able to go... annoyed turned to irritated and irritated turned to really frustrated. The only way that we were able to calm him down was with 1/2 a dose of an anti-anxiety medication. This was the second time that he's had to take it since the accident, and I felt bad having to give it to him. I do, however, understand that he isn't able to understand what he is doing right now, and I didn't want things to get any worse. Once he took the meds, he was sound asleep for 4 solid hours. When he woke back up, he was asking to leave again. It was breaking my heart that he didn't understand where he was or why he couldn't leave. Our nurse came in and asked him where he thought he was and this time he guess that he was at girl scouts. We asked his nurse if he was able to leave is room, or the floor and she told us that we were able to take him in a wheel chair down and around the outside the hospital. What a relief!
In the process, they explained to us that it would be possible for Dane to see the girls. Since Peyton was already coming down to the hospital to come home with me, my bro in law and sis in law Kyle and Camille go get Rylee and bring her down. They were excited to see him. They were both so brave. I knew that they could tell that there was something different about their dad, but they were both so sweet with him and gave him lots of hugs and kisses. He took them for a ride on his lap in his wheel chair. It was so nice for Dane to see them. He was so sweet with them. The hardest part was when we had to leave. As soon as we got to the car, Rylee cried the biggest crocodile tears I've ever seen and told me that she wanted her Daddy to come home. I tried my hardest to comfort her and help her to understand that he'd be home soon. She had a really hard time getting to sleep tonight. I promised her that we'd get to come down and see him again soon.
Thank you to my babysitters for today, Tawnie and Debi. Once we get him placed, I'm hoping to not have to be down at the hospital all day waiting for doctors to make their rounds. Thank you to inspired home teachers who go above and beyond and thank you Scott for buying crickets to feed Dane's lizards. I know it's probably not your favorite thing to do. Thank you to our extended family for all of your support and visits at the hospital. You break up the day for Dane and for me. And thank you to everyone that has done things for our family that I am unaware of. I know that there are things that I haven't even noticed.

4 comments:

The Ellsworths said...

Haleigh, you are an inspiration of stength. My family is praying for your husband's recovery as well as for strength for you in this difficult time. Please let me know if I can help out in any way.

Our Little Hatch Family !!! said...

OH, Haleigh hang in there...You have been in our prayers since day one of the accident, I wish we could be there to help out...I ask Art almost every day how you are doing and if he has heard any more news... that and I started to read your blog today, I don't know how you make the time to keep us updated, but THANK YOU we have been soo worried about you, Dane and the girls.

I am so sorry that you are faced with such an enormous trial, I know you are a stronger Certain Woman than I, Our lesson on Sunday was of Beautiful, & Inspiring Certain Women such as: Emma & Lucy Smith, You kept coming to my mind for all you are enduring right now!

How are you feeling, pregnancy wise? I am so inspired by your strength, and courage, I told Art the day we found out that he wasn't aloud to go mt. bike riding, not that he has gotten on a bike since his mission or anything...Please let me know if there is anything we can do, or if you need anything...I am so grateful that Dane is out of the coma and is doing better, stay strong, We Love You Guy's and will continue hoping and praying for the best!

Caryn said...

I am so glad I followed my instincts and read your blog. I have been thinking about you the last few days, wondering how you were doing, and to my surprise I found out! Oh, I wish i couldn't say I know how hard hospital life is, but I can.

Good for you using the social workers, they will save you such a head ache. And if something a DR is telling you doesn't make sense, MAKE them tell you again and again until they explain it so it does.

Honestly, if you need lunch brought down (cafeteria food is yucky) or new comfy slippers to wear while you are there, please let me know!

Remember, to take the time to take care of you and the baby too, as hard as it is to be selfish right now!

Love ya, thinking and praying for you all!

The Regimballe Family said...

Haleigh,
Thank you so much for keeping all of us posted with your blog. I don't know how you find the time, but we all appreciate being kept up to speed on everything. You have such a wonderful husband! We ran into him last weekend at 'Babies R Us' when he was picking up your new crib. He was so excited to bring it home to you, but he stopped to visit with us for a minute. He always has a smile on his face, and I know that you and the girls are everything to him.

I know how difficult it can be to spend so much of your day at the hospital-waiting for answers, hoping to catch a doctor on rounds, and watching for any little sign of progress in Dane- and then to leave feeling frustrated. There will be some days that will feel like 1 step forward, 2 steps back. But we are all so happy and grateful to hear of the progress he is making. I'm sure you'll notice even more once he's been transferred to neuro-rehab.

Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help. We're right around the corner and would love to watch your girls, or try to answer any medical questions you might have-sometimes you can get more info from the Dr's by knowing what specific questions to ask. By the way, how are you feeling and how's your pregnancy going? I have to ask-I'm right there with you! With all this extra stress, make sure you're taking care of yourself too.

You and your family continue to be in our thoughts and prayers. We love you and admire the strength and courage you're showing during this trying time. Thanks again for all the updates.
--The Regimballe Family