Today was a good day. Ry had to stay home from school, but her fever broke last night so my awesome sis in law Camille babysat her, along with Peyton. Thanks Camille. I was only able to make it for two of Dane's six therapies, but I was so impressed with his progress. The first therapy that I went to with him was Physical Therapy. In true Dane style, this is his favorite therapy. Today, he was able to walk all of the way to our car and practice getting into and out of the passenger seat. He also rode the stationary bike for 7 minutes, which is good, considering the fact that he's already planning on mountain biking again when he gets better. He also did an obstacle course where he had to weave in and out of cones and bend over to pick up bean bags and toss them into a bucket. He was having a hard time making the bean bags in the bucket, but with a few pointers from the therapist he was able to start making them. He is still walking, dragging his left foot some and running into things on the right side of him, but he has improved on these things a ton in the last few days. I was also able to go to one session of occupational therapy with him. They worked with him by playing some simple card games and strategy games. Dane wasn't too thrilled about these games, but anyone who knows Dane, knows that he is not a big fan of games like this. When the therapist asked him if he wanted to play the game again, he said, "Nope, not really." About lunch time, Dane really slowed down. He took a few naps and after his naps it was time for me to go home. When I got home, the girls and I gave him a call, and he was so excited to hear from them.
He is anxious to see the girls and we'll be able to take them down tomorrow to see him. He is also taking a trip to Target tomorrow with the recreational therapist. They will practice walking, along with looking for certain items in the store. This is to help him get used to being back out in the "outside world." If all goes well with is outing to Target and his visit with the girls, the doctors have said that they will allow us to take him away from the hospital on Sunday and maybe take him to dinner or something. This is something for us all to look forward to. I am going to be staying the night at the hospital Saturday night, while my girls stay the night at my in-laws. So, I may not be able to update again until Sunday. I'm sure that I'll have a ton to post then. If anyone is wanting to come and visit this weekend, call me on my cell phone first to find out where we are at. I'd hate for anyone to drive clear out to Phoenix and have Dane not be there.
Thanks Camille for babysitting, and thanks to everyone else that volunteered to help with babysitting for today. I'm really hoping to make it down there all week next week so that I can continue to learn from the therapists, so that when Dane get's home, I'll be prepared to help out in continuing his recovery. He will need to be part of an outpatient program for a while once he gets home. We will be excited to get him home...

3 comments:
Oh that is great news! I am glad to hear that he is continuing to progress each day. You will continue to be in our prayers.
Oh I am so glad to hear he is doing better. I didn't get a chance to talk to you yesterday. I had to get on and see how he is doing... So, he wants to get back on that bike again... I am not surprised.
Haleigh! I just got back into town and have been sitting here reading about Dane's accident and this trial your little family is facing. I'm so sorry, but we are praying for a speedy and good recovery. You're a wonderful wife & mother. I wish I was closer to help with meals & babysitting. We'll be praying!
Love you! Becky
Post a Comment