We had a fantastic weekend. It was very low-key. Saturday, Dane was able to go to Target on an outing with the recreational therapist. They had him practice walking and finding things throughout the store. I wasn't able to go because I had dance recital pictures for the girls, but his mom went with him and said he did a great job. Then I was able to bring the girls up to visit him about noon on Saturday. I think that they really are his best medicine. He just wants to kiss them and sit them on his lap the entire time. We even took the girls for a few trips around his unit in his wheel chair. He doesn't have to use the wheel chair much anymore, but I think it was fun for them. Then yesterday he had 1 therapy session with a speech therapist. After that, we were able to get him a pass to go around the hospital. We decided to go the healing garden, but I'm not sure that it was the most "healing" place, atleast for Dane. I think that he was a little overwhelmed from his morning and got a little frustrated when we stopped in the sun for a minute. With a little patience, he was fine and we brought him back to his room. Then the girls went to stay at my in-laws house and I was able to stay the night with Dane. He slept for 10 hours last night, which was a first. He's been pretty restless at night time.
Today is the "day of rest" as the rehab facility terms it and he didn't have any therapy. It was just his day to do as he pleased. Dane and I had a nice morning. He was a little bored so we went and found the washing machine in his unit and we did his laundry. Also, I asked him to do draw a clock with its numbers again and this time, with out any prompting, he drew the whole thing correctly. Then we were able to take him out, away from the hospital, and meet his family for an outing. We were able to have lunch with him and things went so well. After that, I came home with the girls to get ready for school tomorrow. Dane's family relieved me and they are hanging out back at the hospital with him now. This morning, I would say that he was about 80% Dane, which is saying a lot considering the fact that his accident was just under two weeks ago. I know that as the day goes on he gets a little more over loaded, or confused, so I'm hoping that his evening goes well.
Thanks to my in-laws for taking my girls overnight, so that I could hang out on a hospital cot next to Dane last night. Thanks to all of the visitors that are planning to come and visit him tonight. I know that he appreciates all of your concern. Thanks to my mom for hanging out at the hospital on Friday with me. I'm headed back tomorrow morning after my "baby doctor" appointment, so I'm sure that I'll have some updates again tomorrow after I'm able to make it to some of his therapy sessions.

3 comments:
Haleigh..so glad you update us on Dane's recovery. I am always thinking about your family. So good to hear that the healing is going so well. If there is anything I can do to help please let me know. :) TaKe Care!! Love YA!
I am a friend of your sisters...when she wrote about what happened I went to your blog and have come back each day to read how things are going. I think the writing is a great idea for you ...kind of great way to get it all out so you don't have to remember everything in your head.. My prayers are with you and I think you have a lot of courage and seem to be, through your writing a very thoughtful and brave young woman. I will continue to come back and read each day...
Stay strong.
Fondly, Barbara Harmor
I think we met at Brooke's Homecoming off her mission.
Post a Comment